Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Porch Garden

Ever since Courtney and I decided to grow plants on her porch, we've been met by opposition. By Reno weather, which has gone from 78 degrees to snowing the next day; by shoddy selections from the supermarkets; and most recently ... squirrels. That's right. I've been having this rant with Courtney for a few days, but now it has come to a head. The squirrels will stop at nothing to get at what we have.

Our beginning list of plants (and what's happened to them.)
- 1 spearmint
- 1 chocolate mint
- 1 oregano (lost 2 branches to either root death or rodent interference)
- 1 snap pea vine (top leaves chewed off; buds at base attacked ... half of the mean stem chewed through, so the plant is just about dead)
- 1 string bean vine (top budding leaves chewed ... I put it inside)

Only the mint has no noticeable changes, probably because of the scent. Since we had the peppers a few nights back and they were littered with seeds, I figured I would try and start some, see if they'd take. I added some bean seeds to the starter bags (which are just the seeds folded into a damp paper towel and then placed inside a plastic bag with the air taken out, hung on a window or somewhere with ample sunlight). Today, I was out to water everything, and I see this:


Yep, the jerk had chewed through one of the bags to have a look around. I am so sick of these squirrels undermining my desire to put my fresh herbs or beans into a saucepan when I'm following one of my around-dinnertime whims. It's ridiculous to grow everything on the other side of the sliding glass door in order for that to happen, but I would like this to stop.

Poor pea :c

First attack on the top nub. Bean plants arent easily killed, much to my enjoyment.

0 comments: